Friday, September 15, 2006

Is it possible to have an opinion with out being judgmental?

I'm trying to figure out whether it is possible to not be judgmental. I would like to think I'm not judgmental of people, but I'm not sure.

The second you decide one way or another about a person, aren't you passing judgment. The very statement "That person is so judgmental." shows that you are also judgmental and have now shown yourself to not only be judgmental but now you are also hypocritical.

Is it possible to have an opinion and not be judgmental?

This question has been on which has been floating around my mind for a while. If we are called to be revolutionaries then we are being called to change things for the better. If we are not judgmental then we would have nothing to revolutionize because we would think everything is wonderful or wouldn't care and have no motivation to change anything.

Is it possible to be judgmental in a good way? Or is all judgment bad?

I don't know and now that I have sufficiently tied myself in knots I will now stop.

Any comments or thoughts gratefully received.

Blessings

Em

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Good question, Revem.
My view is this: people who are judgemental don't usually know the whole story, but feel strongly about what they do know. To have an opinion is to have thought about the matter from all perspectives. Or to have an opion is to have thought the matter through.

That said, I can be pretty judgemental

jo(e) said...

It's interesting. I am often accused of being "judgmental" because I like to analyze the dominant culture. I think that word -- with all of its negative connotations -- is way over used.

Grassroots activism comes from looking at the dominant culture and judging it, right? Aren't we supposed to use our brains?