Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Anzac Day

Today is Anzac Day. It's the one day of the year that Australian's become patriotic, it probably even beats Australia Day.

ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps. It is on the 25th of April because it commemorates the landing of the Anzacs at Gallipoli on this day in 1915. It was the first military assault that the Australian and New Zealand armies had been part of.

Anzac Day is the day that we remember the men and women who have gone to war on our behalf. There are marches which happen in each capital city, dawn services, legal two-up (gambling) in the streets, anzac biscuits and lots of national pride.

I don't agree with war but the older I get the more I want to honor those who have died protecting us in the wars we have been involved in, and also pass this respect on to my boys.

I would rather that we have a national day of peace, but I also don't want to disrespect those who were in the wars just because I don't agree with war.

I also am going to add the recipe for Anzac Biscuits not only because they were made specifically in relation to sending food to those at war but also because they are incredibly yummy.

Blessings

Emma



ANZAC Biscuit Popular Version
(From a original recipe provided by Mr Bob Lawson, an ANZAC present at the Gallipoli landing)

Ingredients
1 cup each of plain flour, sugar, rolled oats and coconut
4 oz butter
1 tablespoon treacle (golden syrup)
2 tablespoons boiling water
1 teaspoon carbonate soda (add a little more water if mixture is too dry)


Method
1. Grease biscuit tray and pre heat oven to 180C
2. Combine dry ingredients
3. Melt together butter and golden syrup. Combine water and soda add to butter mixture.
4. Mix butter mixture and dry ingredients.
5. Drop teaspoons of mixture onto tray allowing room for spreading.
6. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool on tray for a few minutes before transferring to cooling racks

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favourite cookies we used to make them every week...best go check if we have the ingredients!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm.. ANZAC cookies!

net said...

Can us Americans substitute honey for treacle? I'm not sure what would be comparable to it?

Revem said...

I suppose so, I am really no cook. It would be better if you could find golden syrup or treacle as it has a different flavour to honey but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Experiement and see

LutheranChik said...

Interestingly, our local supermarket here in Outer Podunk remodeled its ethnic/imported foods section and now has all sorts of Britfood like golden syrup. (No Antipodal goodies like Vegemite, though). Anyway...if I were to use one tablespoon of golden syrup in this recipe, what are some other things I could do with the rest of the can?...someone told me they like it on bread, but I don't think that'd be for me.

Revem said...

Golden syrup sandwiches are just devine, if you like honey sandwiches you should like golden syrup sandwiches

I am going to make a new entry for Golden syrup recipies.

Yum